Is there a difference between uterine and endometrial cancer?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have spoken with several of the doctors on here about being diagnosed with stage 1 uterine cancer. Is there a difference between uterine and endometrial cancer? My question is....I have been given encouraging news due to the stage 1 and catching the cancer early. But I am having more mild menstrual cramps, occasional slight pain, a general feeling of soreness inside. Is this normal with this stage of this cancer? Should I be alarmed? I have already uploaded my reports of the ultrasound and the endometrial biopsy. I would appreciate any news you can give me. I was supposed to see the surgeon today but due to a major snowstorm I had to postpone until Monday. Thank you in advance for any info you can give me. I am a bit concerned.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Endometrial cancer is also called uterine cancer and this is malignant tumor of inner uterine lining. It is always hard to hear that you have cancer but If this was detected in stage 1 then this is very good for you and long-term prognosis is great since in most cases it can be cured completely. Any uterine cancer or tumor cause those symptoms that you have mentioned and it isnt indicating progression of cancer size. Also, it may be caused by hormonal chaNges or endometrial atrophy,not just cancer so this shouldnt worry you at this point. Stage I means that the cancer is limited to the body of the uterus and it can be removed completely by hysterectomy. Cancer cant progress so fast in short time and stage is not determined considering severity of symptom. Some other features indicate cancer stage. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards