Is there a correlation with alcohol and acute vaginal bleeding?

Mar 2013
Hi, recently I have noticed that any time I drink alcohol, I get vaginal bleeding . It s not my period, as it is fresh, bright red blood , and only lasts a day or so at a time but I was wondering why this is? I don't take any medication other than panadol for headaches occasionally and am not on the pill as i am trying to find out why I have so many issues surrounding my cycle
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: OUTLINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. As such, there is no such corelation with alcohol and acute vaginal bleeding. But yes, you have mentioned that you have irregular cycles. Alcohol use over a long time does cause irregular periods. ALso, stress, overwork, crash diets, change in sleep patterns, weight gain, ingestion of hormonal medications off and on, anxiety, change in climate or diet - all these are triggers for menstrual irregularity. Since you are having irregular cycles since a long time, I would suggest that you consult a Gynaecologist. For a patient presenting with menstrual irregularities, I would perform the following workup at my clinic - 1. Maintain a menstrual diary - noting down the precise dates. 2. Have a pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally - this would reveal any abnormalities in the uterus , tubes or ovaries. Polycystic ovarian syndrome ( PCOS ) is often responsible for causing irregular cycles. Women have the ovaries studded with multiple small follicles, but none mature to form an egg, hence due to hormonal imbalance, both ovulation and periods are affected. Endometrial hyperplasia (thickening of the lining of the uterus ) also similarly causes irregular cycles, as does a uterine polyp or fibroid. These conditions are diagnosed by a pelvic ultrasound scan 3. Hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, Free testosterone, Fasting serum insulin, Lipid profile. Abnormalities of the thyroid or adrenal hormones also can cause irregular cycles. Once this workup is done, the diagnosis will become clear. I urge you to get this evaluation done as outlined. Also, eliminate the offending factors in your lifestyle - alcohol, obesity, erratic sleeping and eating habits, stress, tensions ( whichever of these apply to you ). All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.