Is there a correlation between heart murmurs and premature ventricular beats?

I was wondering if there is a correlation between heart murmurs and premature ventricular beats. Also is PVC's XXXXXXX if you have not other symptoms.
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 55 minutes later
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Murmur and premature ventricular beats are two different issues. They have no direct relation – both can result from a same cause.

The first step is to see a cardiologist

These ectopic beats could be normal in some persons. However more INVESTIGATIONS are needed.
     24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring (Holter) is done to analyse and plan for further management.
     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality)
     Treadmill exercise ECG (TMT) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow)
     Laboratory work-up is routine - like blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular), thyroid (over-active) etc.
The treating doctor may suggest them based on the situation. There are advanced techniques of investigations of increasing complexity more (some of them invasive) – which are rarely needed.

There are many CAUSES –
     Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking, chewing) / Caffeine (too much coffee, cola) are common causes.
     Medicines may be responsible – like phenlephrine, pseudoephedrine used for ‘cold’ / salbutamol, salmeterol used for asthma / Illicit ‘drugs’ like amphetamine are notorious to cause abnormal beats
     Rarely, there are abnormal nerve paths (pass tracts) in the heart..

A specific TREATMENT for the beats may often not be necessary.
There are several drugs - acting by different mechanisms - the specialist will decide tailored to the individual. Beta blockers are generally started – eg. Metoprolol – slow release and small dose – will benefit.
Your doctor will suggest proper prescription and follow up

Wishing you speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Is there a correlation between heart murmurs and premature ventricular beats? 14 hours later
Thank you, I did call my doctor yesterday, the office was closed and will follow up on Monday. However, I read blogs on this stating that pvc's correlated with heartburn and digestive problems, is there a correlation? I read several that stated there was, but the respondents were not doctors? Is there any truth to this?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 8 hours later

There is no direct correlation between the two.
The two may, by chance, be there in one patient.

Good luck