Is there a chance of getting a second heart attack in hospital?

my dad had a hear attack two days ago, the doctor said the hear attack started few days ago, he is stablized now, the heart beat are good the pain is way less in his chest, some of the pain elevated to his upper chest and neck (minor pain), his diabitic (was 400 now is 250 after giving insulin), my dad is 74 years old diabtic with heart history, he had an open hear procdure 40 years ago. is there is a danger of getting another heart attack while he is in the hospital? Liver failuer specially the yoria, potassuim and soduim are high in his blood cell? i can not trust the medical treatment where he is now (Africa) what should he be given in term of medication to avoid complications?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later

Your father might be suffering from a chronic heart disease since the onset of the heart attack was not so sudden. Now he is stabilized on medicines. There is no way to know if he is likely to get another attack or not or when. This is some thing which cannot be predicted by anyone.

If he has a raised urea, sodium and potassium levels, then his kidneys are more at risk rather than his liver.

To advise on the treatment, you will have to provide me with his detailed history, all the latest investigation reports and the examination findings presently. All these three things decide the treatment.

If you feel that he is not getting an adequate treatment there, you can ask for a second opinion.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Is there a chance of getting a second heart attack in hospital? 27 hours later
they found that he has critical aortic valve stenosis where 2 valves are completly hardening and the third is 70% blocked, his ejection factor is 32.5%. what are the alternatives in term of treatments? do nothing, try to open the third valve, or..., is itadvis able to travel overseas for treatment with his condition and how safe any suggested treatments?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Severe aortic valve stenosis usually needs a surgical treatment. It needs to be seen if he can face the stress of the surgery or not. He might be able to fly once his condition stabilizes and the cardiac pain subsides, he can travel after consulting his treating doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.