Is there a chance of getting HSV on genitals through oral sex? Positive for HSV1

Dermatologist
Question
I have a few questions.

1) my partner has cold sores on his mouth. He has had them since he was a child. To my knowledge, we have never had oral sex while he had a cold sore. I have also had cold sores since I was a child, so I too have the HSV1 virus. I have been tested recently and was negative for HSV 2. If I have oral sex with my partner, can I get HSV1 on my genitals? Can the virus spread to my genitals even if he does not have an active cold sore? If I have HSV1 on my genitals from him, what would be the treatment? 2) I have a tiny brown spot on my vaginal lips, should I be concerned? It looks like a very tiny mole.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 5 hours later

I will answer your questions one by one.

1.     Yes, you may get HSV (oral sex. This is a real possibility though the chances are slim as genital HSV 1 infection is rare.

2.     The chances of virus spread are very low during inactive infection, but still there is some viral shedding which is capable of transmitting infection. Again this is just a theoretical possibility. SO the low chances of transmission during inactive disease combined with low chances of genital HSV 1 infection makes the risk of transmission very very low.

3.     If you do have HSV 1 infection, the treatment is the same as HSV 2, acyclovir or valacyclovir during active symptoms.

4.     I don’t think you should be worried about the black spot. But it is still best to get it checked by a qualified dermatologist.

I hope I have answered your query. Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Is there a chance of getting HSV on genitals through oral sex? Positive for HSV1 8 hours later
Thank you for your reply. This has been most helpful.

My boyfriend has had HSV1 coldsores on his mouth since he was a child. Does this mean that he has HSV1 antibodies and is protected from contracting HSV1 genitally?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 13 hours later
Well, having cold sores since early in life does mean that he must be having antibodies against it. But these antibodies are not very protective, which explains the recurrence of cold sores.

HSV-1 genital infection is very very rare and that he has not developed it yet makes the future probability very low. But I have not thought of HSV1 antibodies being protective of genital HSV 1 infection and I do not think anybody has looked at it in that way either.

Anyhow, what we should be wary of is HSV 2 genital infection and other STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections) and must observe adequate precautions.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Is there a chance of getting HSV on genitals through oral sex? Positive for HSV1 5 hours later
When would he be most at risk for contracting HSV1 genitally?

I have only recently contracted HSV1 coldsores from him. I have tested negative for HSV 2. When would I be at risk for contracting HSV1 genitally?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 5 minutes later
Thanks for getting back.
The highest risk would be when either of you have active cold sores and perform oral sex.

I hope I have answered your query.

Thanks