Is there a certain way to stop Lorazepam?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I AM TAKING LORAZEPAM 0.5. MY QUESTION IS IF I WANT TO STOP TAKING THIS PILL DO I NEED TO DO THIS A CERTAIN WAY OR CAN I JUST STOP.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Taper it gradually.HelloThanks for your query, Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted that you have been taking Lorazepam 0.5 since a long time and wish to stop it. Lorazepam is a tranquillizer and stopping it all of a sudden will result in withdrawal symptoms .It is always advisable to taper it gradually .First reduce the dose to 0.25 once daily for couple of days and start taking it on alternate day and then take it twice a week and finally you can stop taking it .Hope I have answered your query,please feel free to ask if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.