Is there a blood test to detect cancer?

Is there a blood test to detect cancer?
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No. Complete Blood count will be only one in list.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Assuming you are looking for a mammogram, breast ultrasound, biopsy, MRI are the most likely ones to confirm the presence of cancer and type. Others like bone scan, CT, PET, Blood counts will be done to ascertain the staging if it is.

Hence, a single blood test for counts will not be enough.

Another test for gene mutation BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 is done only for those with definite family history and selected patients and not as routine as above.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet, MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.