Is the pain in stomach and left shoulder/neck due to nissen fundoplication surgery?

On March 22, 2011 I had a Nissen Fundoplication & Hiatal surgery performed. Since the surgery once I eat ..usually starts during my meal....pain starts in my stomach, move to my left shoulder, left side of neck, left jaw and into my left temple. The pain is excrutiating and dibilitating and lasts for a minimum of 1 hour to 6 hours. My gastroenterologist stated it has nothing to do with the surgery. Since the surgery I have had another EGD and a cat scan. The only thing that was revealed was my stomach was very red and irritated. I am unable to belch or vomit and take anti-nausea medication Zofran. None of these symptoms were present previous to the surgery. Not sure if this is relevant but I also have IBS that has been even worse since the Nissen surgery. I really am at a loss.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

The pain that you are having after eating food after the surgery is most likely due to the gastric distension which puts a pressure on the diaphragm and the pain is then referred to your shoulder and even jaw. After 3-4 hours when the stomach is emptied, the pressure is gradually released and the pain starts subsiding.

In my opinion it will take some time for your diaphragm and stomach to get accustomed to its new status and gradually the pain will decrease. Till then you can have liquid or semisolid oil free diet which is easy to digest and easily passes through the stomach to the intestines minimizing the pain.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.