Is the lump in my groin area due to lymphoma?

My doctor thinks a lump in my groin area is lymphoma. He wants me to take Sulfa drugs and hot moist compresses and go back and see him in ten days. I am still wondering if I didn't pull something as I felt something "let go" when I was taking a full bucket of mail out of the back of our courier van.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Is the lump soft to touch or hard in consistency?

2)     Is the lump preceded by any viral infection or bacterial infection?

3)     Is the lump mobile or painful to touch?

4)     Is there any white or cream discharge from the lump?

5)     Are you having any purple discoloration or pain in the lump?

Such kind of lump can be swollen lymph node, boils or abscess, cyst, hematoma formation after muscle strain or a benign tumor. For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth (to rule out any tumor) and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.

FNAB is aspiration of the material of the lump which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as most likely this lump is due to an infection causing an abscess, swollen lymph node or tumour growth.

Hope this answers your query. Please do write back with these replies so that I can help you in a better way.

Follow-up: Is the lump in my groin area due to lymphoma? 1 hour later
It is painful on pressure. There is no discharge from it as it is below the surface. I am not aware of any bacterial infection, although my doctor first asked me if I had a lot of bug bites this summer and I said, "Yes". The mosquitoes here this year in Minnesota are small and painful when they bite and itch terribly for days. The lump is not mobile, but seems to shrink at times when I rest. There was what looked like some bluish bruising there on the surface for awhile. That is why I wondered it I had a XXXXXXX bruise as I am prone to swelling and bruising that lasts quite awhile as I am Rh Negative blood type. I carried more than one heavy bucket of mail on that left hip.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

From the symptoms and the additional information, it is less likely to be a lymphoma. It can be a hematoma or an infected abscess/cyst.

For the hematoma and cyst, apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like Advil after consulting your doctor.

You can also apply topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin. If there is severe pain then you may need a course of oral antibiotics as well.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.