Is the irritation around my vulva due to a yeast infection?

Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Your symptoms suggests something like a fungal infection of the vulva.

It should have subsided with the anti-fungal treatment that you had earlier taken.

It does not suggest a Vulval cancer, you need not worry.

It is good that your PAP smear and pelvic examination are normal which makes cervical cancer very unlikely.

Vulval cancer is also unlikely, because it presents with vulval mass.

The yeast infection is treatable, I suggest you to take another course of anti-fungal treatment.

You should be fine, You can also consult your Gynaecologist regarding this.

Also maintain good personal hygiene like keeping the area clean and dry, wear cotton undergarments to reduce the itching.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Is the irritation around my vulva due to a yeast infection? 10 hours later
Thank you for your quick respond. I thought that the first treatment would have cured the infection and symptoms. I didn't expect for the irritation to return. Is this normal for yeast infection? I just saw my OB the other day and he prescribed another antifungal cream. I've been using the cream for 3 nights now and the irritation has not gone away. I also applied the cream around the outside area as well. You mentioned about taking another course of antifungal treatment. Do you mean by the pill or cream? Should I wait till I complete the treatment to see any difference?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back to me.

Yeast infection is typically characterised by intense itching and continuous irritation and is almost diagnostic of a fungal infection.

I feel the first treatment was not adequate and has not cured the infection completely.

About taking another course of the antifungal treatment, I meant oral pills.
You can still continue to apply the cream locally but I suggest you to take oral antifungals as well.

I also suggest you to take a minimum of 3 doses of the oral antifungal tablet on alternate days for the infection to get cured completely. Please discuss this with your gynaecologist.

I suggest you to take the oral antifungal tablets along with the present treatment to make the healing faster and complete.

Hope I have answered your query.