Is the information provided in the book named eat right for your blood type helpful?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
Hi. How are you? have you heard of the book called "Eat right for your blood type" by XXXXXXX J. D'Adamo. Does it work? do you believe in it? My blood type is O+ and am thinking of trying that book. thanks bye
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question. Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I have actually heard of this book and the information provided as well as recommendations are very intriguing.

At the same time I don't think there is any real way to prove that the recommendations in the book are actually helpful. This would require a very large randomized controlled clinical trial which compares people adhere to the diet to those who eat a regular diet without any complete guidance.

I like to keep an open mind especially regarding nutrition. I don't think there is any detriment to you reading this book and following the recommendations for a period of time. If you feel like your health improves after that trial then you know that perhaps there is some potential benefit to the diet recommendations described in the book.

Thanks again for sending your question and congratulations on working towards improving your baseline health . If you have any additional questions please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Is the information provided in the book named eat right for your blood type helpful? 16 hours later
it's very interesting how I've got the recessive gene from my parents which is rare and then all the diseases that I develop are rare. My mother's blood type is B+ and my father's is A+, my sister's is AB+ but mine is O+ and my doctor's say that I've received the recessive gene or in other words the hidden gene from my parents which is rare but possible and all the diseases that I've developed so far are rare aswell such as nail psoriasis (my dermatologist says that psoriasis is a rare disease nail psoriasis is the rarest type of psoriasis) and then 2 years ago I went through symptoms of hashimoto's thyroiditis (which is another rare disease) for about 4 months and unfortunately by the time I saw an endocrinologist it was late for medication and my thyroid started balancing out few hours after that appointment but my endocrinologist believes that my thyroid will get hypoactive based on it's history. I have a feeling that my blood type is somehow playing a role in this and that the diet that I'm on isn't a good diet for it. We're on a high carbohydrate low protein diet at home. We eat a lot of rice and vegetables and little amounts of meat which seems to be working a lot better for my parents and sister. As I said my parents's blood types are B+ and A+ and my sister's is AB+ but mine is O+ and I have a feeling that I should be on a high protein low carbohydrate diet which is what Dr. D'Adamo has suggested for the O blood type in his book called "Eat right for your blood type". thanks cheers and bye.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Thank you again for your question.

I am thrilled that you are now embarking on a nutritional change which will hopefully help you continue to feel better and better every day.

Regarding your blood type if your mother is type AO and your father is type BO there is a 25% chance that you will be a blood type O from inheriting the O gene from each of them.

Again nutrition plays an integral role in our general health and I definitely have an open mind regarding the possibilities of a diet which is tailored to blood type. Please keep us posted on your progress over the next several months and years.

Thanks again for sharing your health concerns. Please let us know if we can help you with anything else in the future.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Is the information provided in the book named eat right for your blood type helpful? 15 hours later
actually my mom is B+ and my dad A+, so maybe they're BO and AO. my sister is AB+ and I'm O+, my doctors say that I've inherited the recessive gene from my parents. anyways as I said I think that my blood type is playing role in my illnesses, the diet that we're on at home (high carbohydrate low protein) seems to be working better for my mom, dad, and sister but it doesn't work for me at all. I think I have to be on a high protein low carbohydrate diet. I've developed hashimoto's disease , nail psoriasis and etc and I think that the high carbohydrate low protein diet is contributing to it. thanks cheers and bye.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Again, I wish you all the best

Dr Galamaga