Is the inability to open mouth wider than 3 fingers a sign of cancer due to addiction to chewing gutkhas and tobacco ?

Hi doctor , I having chewing guthkas & tobacos since last 10 years,i had tried to quit this bad habits so many times but i could not succeded.i heard about few chewing gum & tablets,which help to quit gutkhas, can refere any name ??
I am 33 year hold having 6 feet hight. weight is around 62 kg.though i am physically fit but now able to open mouth more tha 3 fingurs
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 37 minutes later

Chewing Gutka and Tobacco is equally harmful as smoking cigarettes.
Gutka and Tobacco Contains nicotine with which people get addicted.

It appears that you might have got addicted to nicotine.

There are three strategies to stop this.
1. Strong Behavior Modification. You should consult a doctor for formal counselling and quitting practices. You should make your mind about quitting and a quitting date. Once you have made up your mind and decided the quitting date, medications are initiated to help you quit.

2. Medications are of two categories:
a. Nicotine Supplements: its comes as nicotine patches, nicotine Chewing gums and so on. Nicotine patches are more beneficial. The can be applied on the skin at night and continue to act for nearly 24 hours. I reduces the craving for gutka/tobacco.

b. Medicine which helps to quit: Bupropion is US FDA Approved for Nicotine addiction However, it needs to be prescribed under guidance of doctor. The course is for ~ 12 weeks and quit rates are nearly 80 %.

3. Follow up with you doctor for continuous motivation is equally important.

So get started now.
You seen to be motivated enough
Consult your physician and get your quit plan ready.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran