Is the hard movable lump on my left knee cap due to a fall i had?

10 Weeks ago I fell on my left knee, four days ago I noticed a hard moveable lump on the same knee cap. I am very nervous and can not get into my doctor for a few days. Just wanted some advise to help ease my mind.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

A hard movable lump on the knee cap after a history of injury might be due to a hematoma or fracture of the patella. An X-ray of the knee joint and an MRI will help in diagnosing any bony injury or any soft tissue damage.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:

1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace. Avoid weight bearing as far as possible.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
In both the cases- fracture or hematoma, early management will improve the chances of your complete and early recovery.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Is the hard movable lump on my left knee cap due to a fall i had? 8 minutes later
Is that normal for it to just develop 7 or 8 weeks after the injury? It does not really hurt unless I try and put pressure on my knees or if I move the lump around.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A fracture is unlikely after 7-8 weeks of injury. It can be a synovial cyst secondary to the injury. An MRI of the knee or arthroscopy can only help in making the diagnosis clear.
Wishing you an early recovery.