Is the discoloration of stools after taking beetroot normal?

Question
i ate beet yesterday and after 12 to 13 hours my stool was red is the beet discolor the stool for 12 hours
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 44 minutes later

There are many foods and food additives which can change the color of stools. Foods which can cause maroon colored stools are red colored gelatin, popsicles, Kool-Aid, tomato juice, soup and beets. Beet can change the color of stools for more than 12 hours.

Keep an eye on the stool color. If repeat color stools occur without any prior history of ingestion of these food stuffs, then you have to consult a physician and get blood in stools ruled out. In that case, maroon colored stools can be due to diverticulitis, vascular malformation, intestinal Infection (including parasites), irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Tumors, Polyps, Colon Cancer, Ulcers, Gastritis and Esophageal Varices.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Is the discoloration of stools after taking beetroot normal? 2 hours later
thanx alot for your response i have no pain at all and i ate beet at 1:30 pm and i noticed red color at 2:30 am it means 13 hours almost and if the discoloration of the stool was from the beet after how many days or hours the stool color should get back normal color if every thing is normal

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The discoloration of stools due to beetroot may persist for around a couple of days as it takes that much time for elimination of the entire food material. If it persists after that, you should get it checked from your doctor and get yourself examined for blood in the stools.