Is the bump on my scalp due to HPV infection?

Question
I had a small bump on my scalp that got bigger and eventually an open soar from constent attempts to rid myself from this thing. I tried XXXXXXX cider....it worked but the soar never closed and it just kept scabbing over. it bleeds when irritated and when done bleeding, it's clear puss. it's painful when i put my hair in a ponytale, and it itches around the infected area. i am terrified that this may be something worse than what it is. i was diagnosed with HPV about 4 years ago and this is the first time i've experienced any symptoms other than leasions in my cervix which were frozen and removed. is it possible that the "wart" like bump on my scalp is just that? I have zero insurance and no way of having this taken care of. Are there any over the counter products that i can use to make this go away?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Two possibilities for this type of pus discharging and painful lump. these are:

1)     Boil or abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.

For such a bump, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean with topical antiseptics. Drainage is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Till then you can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban after consulting your doctor. You can also take some over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen and oral antibiotics after a doctor’s prescription.

2)     The second possibility is of an infected and inflamed cyst like a pilar cyst. It is a benign cyst on the head and neck which is mostly painless but can become painful when infected. Treatment includes topical and oral antibiotics and surgical incision and drainage.

Please send me a photo of the lesion at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at your photo and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Is the bump on my scalp due to HPV infection? 6 hours later
HI, I RECEIVED A MESSAGE BACK FROM YOU IN REFERENCE TO THE BUMP ON MY SCALP. YOU SAID I COULD SEND YOU SOME PHOTOS AND ASK QUESTIONS. I HAVE TAKEN A FEW PICTURES. I HOPE IT HELPS. THE RED AREA IS WERE THE PUSS OR BLOOD COMES OUT OF AND IS TENDER. PUSS ONLY HAPPENS ONCE THE BLOOD HAS STOPPED COMING OUT. THE BLOOD IS NOT GUSHING OUT BUT IT'S ENOUGH FOR ME TO USE 1 COTTON BALL. USUALLY THE BLOOD HAPPENS WHEN I REMOVE MY HAIR FROM THE AREA WHERE PUSS HAS DRIED UP AND BUILD UP A SCAB. ONCE I PULL THE HAIR FROM THE SORE, IT BLEEDS FOR A FEW SECONDS AND I WIPE IT AWAY, I USE ALCOHOL AND THEN IT STOPS. THE PUSS COMES ONCE THAT'S ALL OVER WITH. THE OUTSIDE OF THAT TENDER AREA IS HARD UNDER THE SCALP THAT'S THE AREA THAT ITCHES FROM TIME TO TIME. IT'S NOT HURTING ME BUT IT IS SOME DISCOMFORT WHEN I WEAR MY HAIR IN A PONYTAIL. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK IT MAY BE AND IF THERE IS ANYTHING OVER THE COUNTER I COULD TAKE TO GET RID OF IT. I AM AFRAID OF SURGERY SO I AM OPEN TO OTHER SUGGESTIONS.

THANK YOU KINDLY,
XXXXXXX STATEN

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

I have seen the photographs of the lesions and it looks like an infected cyst .

The other possibility which needs to be ruled out is of a kerion which is response to a fungal ringworm infection of the hair follicles of the scalp and beard accompanied by secondary bacterial infection. It usually presents itself as raised lesion which drains pus and blood.

Get a pus culture for bacteria as well as fungal infection done as it will confirm the diagnosis.

You need a course of oral antimicrobials as well as surgical incision and drainage.

I can understand your fear for surgery but once drainage is done, it will heal more quickly.

Consult your doctor and get it cultured before starting with antimicrobials.

Till then keep the area clean.

Follow-up: Is the bump on my scalp due to HPV infection? 8 hours later
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly about the photos. It's just strange how these things just occur. I should have had it looked at along time ago but when it started up it was just a bump under the skin. I thought it would go away but it started to get bigger over time. It's been about a 8 months since I've had this issue.

Does the draining require me to be put under the knife or any anestesia? Also, are the antimicrobials that you spoke of available without a prescription? Anything over the counter that I can at least try first? I am sure it wont' cause any more harm then what is already going on if i attempted that option first.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

You need to have the procedure of incision and drainage or excision drainage under local anesthesia using lidocaine.

Alternately, to have minimal scarring of the area, we can follow minimally invasive procedure of surgical excision. The advantage of surgical excision is that the cyst is treated in one session. What happens is that the tissue immediately surrounding the cyst is injected with a local anesthetic. The cyst is incised and the contents squeezed out leaving the empty wall of the cyst. This can then be removed entirely through much smaller incision. One or two stitches may be required in the procedure.

You need to take the antimicrobials under prescription from a dermatologist. You can try topical antimicrobials like Neosporin or Bactroban till that time.

Hope this answers your query.