Ask a Dentist   »  

Is the bleeding from the gums normal with children diagnosed with Herpetic stomatitis?

Question
Hi, my 2 1/2 year old Son on last Friday was diagnosed with Herpetic stomatitis, viral infection of the mouth. The dentist said it should clear up in a week. It appears to be improving, however we're now starting to see bleeding from the gums. We're making a follow-up appt in the interim. Is the bleeding from the gums normally seen of children with Herpetic stomatitis? Should he not use his pacifier? Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bleeding is common Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. As you know Herpetic stomatitis is a viral infection. It will run its course before cure. Bleeding gums can accompany this infection. He might also have other symptoms that include: 1. Fever 2. Bleeding ,painful and sore gums. 3. Sore throat. 4. Loss of appetite. 5. Drooling more than normal 6. Bad breath. 7. Headache. 8. Tiredness. Therefore please do not worry. You can also talk to your doctor regarding numbing medicine or gels that can be applied in sore gums,so that the child feels comfortable. Now coming to pacifiers you can give, clean sterilized pacifier to the child. But see to it that the duration of use is short as it can further cause damage to fragile gums. The child should be allowed to take adequate rest and sleep,Also maintain hygiene by mild wiping his teeth and gums with wet cotton. Hope it helps. Please let me know for further doubts. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Is the bleeding from the gums normal with children diagnosed with Herpetic stomatitis? 1 hour later
Thank you. I'll enquireabiut the numbing meds. Regarding he pacifier, you mention short duration use. During night sleep, 8-10 hours, should we not allow hime to sleep with it (pacifier)?

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Can continue pacifiers at night to appease the child. Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. Please do not worry and let the child feel comfortable at every cost. If the child is comfortable using pacifiers and gets good sleep then please do not force the child to discontinue it. Please let me know for further doubts. Thanks. Take care.