Is that OraQuick test reliable enough to check the HIV status?

Dermatologist
Question
I had an HIV 1&2 AB screen done at 87 days of possible risk that came back non-reactive and an HIV PCR quant at 94 days that the lower limit of detection of this essay is about 40 hiv ran copies per ml that came back Not detected. Is this enough time to give an accurate result and could be considered conclusive? My platelets have dropped between 45,000/85,000 over the past 2 years now. My symptoms have progressed from originally abdominal pain,fatigue,tongue ulcers,feet pain,forearm tingling,neck/shoulder pain. I've had a bone marrow biopsy,colonoscopy,upper scope,MRI,stool,urine test and came back neg. & still haven't determined what is going on! I'm in pain for 2 yrs. now. At 1 year i took an Oraquick hiv oral swab home test that was negative. Is that test reliable and between the 3 test (HIV 1&2,PCR Rna & OraQuick) does that make it conclusive that i'm negative? I don't know where to go from here. I go for monthly CBC and been tossed around multiple Dr.'s that are now suggesting maybe i go to the Mayo Clinic cuz' we haven't been able to figure out what is causing all this. Since i started with Abdominal pain(Vomit,Diarrhea) just over a month of sexual encounter & possible risk,if it was HIV,would the virus be detected since my body was reacting and having symptoms? I'm not sure what else to test for since i've gone thru so many other test besides the ones listed above. I've also tested for Hepatitis,Lyme,H.Pylori,Leukemia,Lupus,MRI brain and spine scan all looked good.Is that OraQuick test reliable enough if i take the test now 2 yrs. later after risk?Please help!!!!!!
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. PCR is a highly reliable test. If tight test was negative be assured that you are negative Ora test is not that reliable so no need to keep repeating that. Probably the fear of getting Hiv is causing most of your symptoms. Just relax you are safe. Its 2 years now so it will be better to repeat Hiv elisa test. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Is that OraQuick test reliable enough to check the HIV status? 29 minutes later
Due to my progression of symptoms over 2 yrs like abdominal pain, (vomit,diarrhea), hand/ feet pain, tongue ulcers/ canker sores, stiff neck, low platelets,tingling forearms, positive ana! I have done 5 oraquick test over 2 yrs, all after my first 3 month hiv 1& 2 & pcr rna test. Is 5 at home oral test reliable over 2 yrs. or do I need more blood test?is there any other test worth investigating? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello I can understand your concern. As it is already 2 years, best is to do Elisa for hiv. Don't do Ora tests. It has very low sensitivity. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you.

Follow-up: Is that OraQuick test reliable enough to check the HIV status? 24 minutes later
Sorry to keep asking but i'm very scared about this! Is the 5 Oraquick test i did reliable at all? Even thou they were all negative, can i not trust them? Also the PCR RNA test i did at 94 days,and HIV 1&2 at 87 ,is that not enough time for the virus to be detected?I was having symptoms just over a month of risk so would that mean the antibodies should show up in the test since my body was reacting to something?Is there any other things that may fall into these symptoms that you think i should test for? This started after a night out to dinner and i woke up with abdominal pain. Ever since that it has been down hill. Please help me get my life back! Thank you

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up and sorry for replying late. Please dont get scared. These many tests are more than enough to say that you are negative, I am just asking you to stop doing ora tests. You can just relax you are safe. PCR itself is enough to determine HIV negativty. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you