Is tetanus and hepatitis vaccinations mandatory to be taken. What is the cost?

Jan 2013

Is Tetanus & Hepatitis vaccinations are mandatory to take. I might have taken Tentanus during my child hood. I have not taken Hepatitis. Can we take these vaccinations at my age which is 42years. How much does these vaccinations costs?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

1) Recommended guideline for Tetanus Vaccine: Booster injections for tetanus toxoid may be needed at the time of injury in older children and adults if it has been 5-10 years since the last tetanus vaccine was received. Booster injections should also be given every 10 years even if no injury has occurred.

2) Hepatitis A: In countries highly endemic for hepatitis A (in India), almost all persons are infected in childhood with the virus without showing symptoms, effectively preventing clinical hepatitis A in adolescents and adults. In these countries, large-scale vaccination programmes are not recommended. Protective antibodies develop in response to infection and persist for life. The protective role of anti-HAV antibodies has been demonstrated by the protection against hepatitis A resulting from passive immunization with serum immune globulin.

Hepatitis A vaccines are all highly immunogenic. Nearly 100% of adults will develop protective levels of antibody within one month after a single dose of vaccine.The vaccines are given parenterally, as a two-dose series, 6-18 months apart.

3) Hepatitis B: You must get vaccination against this dreadful infection. Dosing schedule is :First Injection - At any given time
Second Injection - At least one month after the first dose
Third Injection - Six months after the first dose
This vaccine is very cost effective and easily available in nearby hospital.

4) for other hepatitis, as such no vaccine is available, although China has introduced vaccination against Hepatitis E.

Hope this will solve your query,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava