Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
hi. I'm 32 male and my testosterone level is 231 ng/dl ( reference range 241-827). my libido is very low and very often i have problems to keep erection during sex. I have a wife and we planning to have a kids so i wanna be back to healthy. Please tell me if i will take testosterone injections( terapeutical dosage of testosterone propionate 25mg 3 times a week) it won't get worst? i heard that even low dosage of testosterone can lower sperm count and quality so is XXXXXXX i guess if i wanna have kids! So what to do?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, you should go ahead with inj testosterone Detailed Answer: Hi. In my opinion you may go ahead with testosterone injections to improve your libido, sex pleasure. This will help you to have better sperm count too. Regards,

Follow-up: Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido? 4 hours later
so injection small dosage of testosterone won't have negative influence on spermatozoid?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer: No, it will have no negative influence on sperms. Detailed Answer: Testosterone will help improve the quality and quantity of sperms as your testosterone is already low. I would advise you to get the semen analysis done and use the long acting form of testosterone at 2 weekly interval. Regards

Follow-up: Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido? 8 hours later
I attached sperm analysis. looks fine I think and I wanna keep that way so that's why I'm worry about taking testosterone. I know it will boost my libido rapidly but dont you think that first I should try to boost production of my own testosterone by taking together HCG with Clomid for some period of time?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Go for pregnancy first Detailed Answer: Hi. Good to see your semen analysis, nice enough to go for having kids first before you take any of the medicines. Nothing is required except intravaginal ejaculation , which I expect you are having a capability of. It is better not to do hormonal manipulations until are really necessary and that too have to be done under an Expert's guidance only.

Follow-up: Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido? 38 minutes later
but you told me its ok to injects testosterone to have better libido in my case when my testosterone level is low?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Until I did not know your semen report Detailed Answer: Hi, I did ask you semen analysis reports. Now the report is normal. with less libido you still can have a baby. I think you prime importance is to have a child. So I would advise you to have least or no hormonal manipulation . You should once consult an Endocrinologist as he can guide and treat you accordingly. Regards,

Follow-up: Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido? 33 minutes later
I told you from the beginning that I wanna have kids and first 2 answers were that I should inject testosterone and this won't have negative influence on sperm.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult an Endocrinologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Low testosterone level is an indication to get the injections done but the indication will be much stronger if you have any symptoms of the low testosterone levels. Since you complain of low libido which can get correction on injections, it is advisable to go for the injections. This is just an information/discussion to aid you have proper information which may help you in proper decision making with consultation with the Endocrinologist. Do consult an endocrinologist for the same. Wish you all the best.