Is taking human growth hormone treatment for 21 year old safe?

Should my 21 year old son be taking human growth harmons. He is 5' - 9" and weighs 119 lbs. In high school his leg was X-ray for a possible broken bone. (no broken bone) They reported at that time that his growth plates had not closed. He just finished his sophmore year of college and hasn't grown any since early high school. He seems very healthy.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

According to the CDC growth charts, your son's height falls slightly below the 50th percentile and his weight falls just above the 25th percentile.

It is important to understand here that percentiles are the normal variations in a particular population. Hence, as such, your son's height and weight do fall within the normal range.

His body mass index suggests that he is slightly underweight. The ideal weight for his height would be at least 125 pounds. This can be achieved by increasing his overall calorie intake.

Human growth hormone treatment is indicated in adults only when there is a documented growth hormone deficiency. The purpose of therapy is to replace endogenous growth hormone.

If you have concerns regarding your son's growth, it is advisable to consult your doctor. He/she may order an appropriate growth hormone provocative test which can either confirm or rule out growth hormone deficiency.

Treatment with human growth hormone is advisable only if there is a documented growth hormone deficiency.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.