Is taking 'Methadone' for pain relief safe when on Opiates?

A pain specialist wants to prescribe methadone for pain relief and I was just researching it beforehand, I'm on 700mg of opiates now fentalyn and ordine 10
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: See below Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the battle you have been having with your pains. There is no fixed combination or dose for pain medications. What guide the prescription is how well you respond to your pain medications. If there is persistence, then your doctor would try to add other pain medications or increase the dosages of the other drugs if the maximum has not been reached. Methadone is a good drug and would be a great addition to control your pains. Please, make sure to monitor closely for possible side effects of heavy opiates use which include respiratory depression, cardiac arrest and constipation. I also hope you doctor has advised you on how to improve diet or get some drugs to prevent constipation while taking these drugs. I hope this helps address your query fully. feel free to ask for more information or clarification if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.