Is taking Flucloxacillin for ear infection safe during pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
Hi doctor, i have a ear infection and was prescribed otomize earspray which had no effect on the infection so the doctor has now prescribed flucloxacillin 500mg four times a day for 7 days. I just wanted to no is this safe as im 37+4 days pregnant?
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Go ahead-it is safe & as the doctor has recomended Detailed Answer: Hey there. Understand your anxiety given your pregnancy status & empathise. However, the side effects of most antibiotics vis-a-vis pregnancy are usually noticeable & more severe in the first trimester (1st 3 mths or early pregnancy). Hence, it is relatively safe in either case. Besides, this has been prescribed by a 'doctor' & am sure he will have factored your medical status & considered it essential & only then prescribed. Go ahead & wish you a speedy recovery & more importantly a safe & uneventful delivery. Cheers & Godspeed! Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Is taking Flucloxacillin for ear infection safe during pregnancy? 4 hours later
Does the dosage not sound too much though or is this okay?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Baby will be fine!! Detailed Answer: The dosage sounds fine & am sure your doctor will have factored in your body weight & type/degree of infection et al before taking a call. A healthy mother at delivery will ensure a healthy baby!! So go for it & trust in God! All will be well. Take care & once again...Relax...wish you a safe delivery! Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Is taking Flucloxacillin for ear infection safe during pregnancy? 14 hours later
How long should i leave in between doses? I know its suppose to be 6 hours but thats quite hard in 24 hours. Shall i just take 3 tablets a day insted? I just dont wanna hurt my unborn child

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Reassurance & 3 tabs a day should work. Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX ..once again, let me assure you from the child's point of view there will be no problems. As for it being hard every 6 hrs, am sure every 8 hrs will be just as good but best to get that confirmation from your treating doctor. Having said that, 3 tabs a day should suffice. Good luck.