Is taking Dacaris the right treatment for Alopecia Areata?

Dermatologist
Question
I have lost a small patch of hair on my scalp. Dermatologist diagnosed it as Alopecia Areata and prescribed Tab. Dacaris 150 mg (1 tab , 2 days/week for 3 weeks). Like to have your opinion if this is the right drug to take in my case. (I am otherwise a healthy male 54 yrs old)
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Treatment Detailed Answer: Hi See the treatment that you have been given is one of the steroid sparing agents used in alopecia areata. Since you have some derangement in blood glucose levels too, I am sure your doctor wanted to avoid the the of oral steroids which are preferred in this case. But levamisole is surely a good agent to be used and since you are being given only two doses a week , it is a good treatment regimen and should be effective. Any other concerns, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Is taking Dacaris the right treatment for Alopecia Areata? 17 hours later
What is steroid sparing agent ?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: alopecia Detailed Answer: Well, it just means that you doctor probably wanted to avoid the use of steroids and hence gave you a non steroidal drug. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Is taking Dacaris the right treatment for Alopecia Areata? 1 hour later
Dermatologist prescribed " Dacaris" and the pharmacist at the medical store gave me " Dicaris " . Are both same?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: medicine Detailed Answer: The correct drug is dicaris only which contains levamisole. It might be wrongly spelt by the doctor in a hurry or it might be wrongly read. Dr Geetika Paul