Is swollen lymph node behind ears a serious concern?

I have a swollen limpnode behind my ear. It is about the size of a pea. I went to the dr. about a month ago and he said wait 1-2 months and see if it goes away. There is no other swollen limpnodes. He said it could be fighting infection. I am just concerned because it is not going away. What is your thoughts?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello & thank you for submitting your question. Given the history provided, it is very reasonable to return to the doctor for a follow up if the lymph node hasn't reduced in size within this timeframe. Signs that you should see a physician sooner include fever, pain, night sweats, malaise, increase in size of the lymph node or development of other enlarged lymph nodes. Again thank you for submitting your question & I hope this provided some help. Take Care, Dr G
Follow-up: Is swollen lymph node behind ears a serious concern? 7 minutes later
Should this one swollen lymph node be of concern if it hasn't gone away in a month.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: Hello again, At this time it is still reasonable to give it a few more weeks. Again, if you experience any of the changes mentioned previously, please so not hesitate to schedule a follow up appointment sooner. Be well, Dr G
Follow-up: Is swollen lymph node behind ears a serious concern? 1 minute later
Last question. If it does not go away what is next? Will they biopsy it? or what is the next plan of attack?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: A biopsy might be helpful if it does persist for more than a few weeks. This again is not likely but does remain a possibility. Also antibiotics might be indicated as well because sometimes a mild infection can lead to the symptoms which you have described. Please focus again on maintaining good and optimal health, diet and exercise. Dr. G