Is swollen lymph gland in my child's neck a sign of illness?
User rating for this question
My daughter who is 22 months old, has a very large swollen lymph gland in her neck. She has previously had blood tests and been found to have iron deficient anaemia. She is otherwise well except for a slight ear infection which she has just been prescribed antibiotics for. I am very worried the enlarged lymph gland might be a sign of something more serious. It is very large on the right side of her neck.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 2 hours later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Relax,there is nothing to worry. Regional lymphadenopathy is commonly seen in children. Size of lymph nodes increases after any infection. In case size increases abruptly or it is associated with any other symptom some blood investigations like CBC and ESR is done. But you have mentioned that blood tests have been done and there is only iron deficiency anemia so nothing to worry. I suggest you to observe her for sometime and be in regular follow up with your pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question. Wishing your baby good health. God bless...
Follow-up: Is swollen lymph gland in my child's neck a sign of illness? 11 hours later
Thanks for your reply, The blood tests she had were around 3 months ago, these showed iron deficiency anemia. The lump/large swollen gland on her neck has only appeared in the last few days. Her GP has ordered blood tests again. I am just worried it might be linked to something more serious such as Lymphoma or Leukemia. Is this common in a child so young?
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 4 hours later
People also viewed
- Costochondritis and swollen lymph glands
- 10 month old baby calcium
- Dite chart for 10 months baby
- 10 month baby tight chest
- Baby breakfast 10 month old cornflakes
- Conjuctivitis and swollen lymph glands
- Holistic treatment of pyogenic granuloma on tongue
- Swollen lymph glands postpartum
- 10 month old baby barking cough
- Swollen lymph glands methamphetamine
- Myasthenia gravis, "ligament injury"
- Seasonique and myasthenia gravis
- Hemetemeis gravidarum
- Hiv swollen lymph glands
- Tonsillectomy green sputum