Is swollen and rigid index finger and pain in wrist a sign of MS?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a swollen right index finger that will not bend voluntarilly and is painful up to my wrist and forearm at times. I have not been diagnosed with MS, however I do have an appointment next week with my rheumatologist and I am going to ask about it for several other symptoms. Is this one of them? My orthopedic thought it was a trigger finger and did surgery for that, which did not alleviate the problem. I have also had carpal tunnel surgery in 2013, which did work, thankfully.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not due to MS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The swollen index finger with difficulty in bending is likely to be due to tendonitis. It can happen due to inflammation of the tendons or nerve inflammation caused by stress. This is not likely to be related to MS. You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep your finger in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, increase in swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your orthopedician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X ray or MRI. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL