Is swelling in left wrist and arm due to my hypertension and atrial fibrillation?

Hi I am 52 yrs old...female with a history of hypertension and atrial fibrillation. For the past three weeks my left wrist and arm are a little awollen. I did not injure it or have had any bug bites. There is no pain involved.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 46 minutes later
Hello Teri,

Thanks for the Query.

You have provided with good information but I Would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:
1.) Do you have shortness of Breath?
2.) Do you have Chest pain?
3.) Do you have Palpitation?
4.) Do you have skin redness?

Your History suggests you have either:
1.) Dermatomyositis
2.) Allergic Reaction

Both these has to be ruled out, Kindly get yourself examined by a Cardiologist to rule out any cardiac ailment. Get a second opinion from an Orthopedic Surgeon as well. Your Doctor may examine you and suggest few tests like,
1.) Blood work
2.) Urinalysis
3.) 2D-ECHO
4.) EKG
5.) Muscle Biopsy if necessary.
6.) Arm and Wrist X XXXXXXX

Once confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause. Your Treating Doctor will know better. He/she may prescribe you Corticosteroids, Anti Inflammatory Drugs.

Kindly do not delay.

Follow these lifestyle medications:
1.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and Meditation.
2.) Exercise regularly and maintain a Healthy weight.
3.) Limit your salt intake to less than 2500mg per day
4.) Monitor your Blood Pressure regularly
5.) Avoid high calorie foods
6.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
7.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your Follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.
Follow-up: Is swelling in left wrist and arm due to my hypertension and atrial fibrillation? 35 minutes later
I do not have any redness on the wrist and as far as chest A little short of breath and as far as palpitations I get those all the time but they only last seconds.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 37 minutes later
Hi Teri,

Thank you for Writing Back.

Your follow up History suggests Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms as you say you have Palpitations and Shortness of Breath.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Cardiologist and get a Second opinion from a Orthopedist.

Follow the Lifestyle Modifications as suggested by me earlier, stick to your Treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

I Hope Everything should be fine with you.

Wish you Good Health.