Is swelling in knee caused due to rupture of blood vessel?

General Surgeon
I had large swelling inside my left knee had a doppler test to rule out blood clot 1/24 1/30 still experiencing some pain and swelling . black and blue and travelled down to my ankle 2/1 still with me some improvement Do you beleive i burst a blood vessel? What action should be taken at this time>? XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be artery rupture Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Rupture of blood vessel especially an artery will cause expanding swelling and throbbing pain. Black and blue discolouration is likely to be due to superficial thrombophlebitis. Exact diagnosis will depend on visual examination. Clinical picture will be helpful. In the meantime I would suggest you the following 1. Limb elevation by placing pillow under the leg while sleeping will be helpful 2. Analgesic like Ibuprofen will be helpful to relieve pain. I would suggest you getting back to me with clinical photograph and details of the scan report. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon