Is swelling behind anus a sign of hemorrhoid problem?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
WhenI had my son 42 years ago, I tore from front to back and the doctor on call was delivering 3 women at that time.....When he stitched me up he stitched....up to much and I have had problems since.....with hemoroids and constipation....and so on, just in the last week I have had a swelling and very painful place right behind my first I thought maybe it was a hemroid that didn't have room inside so it was pushing through....but it feels like a muscle or tube running about 3---4 inches long, and it is very sensitive to touch......Am I being worried over nothing or should I be very worried???????? thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thrombosed hemorrhoid. Detailed Answer: Hi, These symptoms suggest you may have a thrombosed hemorrhoid. This is not serious but can cause a lot of pain. It would feel hard and tender and will not easily reduce back inside. I suggest you see your doctor for examination to confirm this. Treatment would be surgical removal. In the meantime a cold compress will help reduce the swelling. Hemorrhoid gel will help ease the pain. This can be obtained over the counter from your pharmacy. I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Follow-up: Is swelling behind anus a sign of hemorrhoid problem? 5 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: This could be an abscess. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for the clarification. If you feel the swelling is on the inside, you may have an abscess. Alternatively, this may be a peri-anal fissure. It would be difficult to be more precise than this without examination. For this reason, I suggest you need to be examined by your doctor. Hope this helps, Dr K A Pottinger