Is surgery the only option for preventing possible infection due to Seymour fracture in children?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I took my 10 year old daughter to follow-up with a Orthopedic Pediactric Surgeon yesterday (she dropped a 5 pound weight on her foot on Sunday and was told at Urgent Care she had fractured it) and he said after taking more x-rays that she had a Seymour Fracture and would need surgery right away to prevent "possible" infection. The nail bed would be removed, the fracture dealt with and then a pin would be inserted for 3 weeks. He gave her antibiotics (500mg 2x a day - a 30 count) to take. Seems like overkill - is this the only way to handle this? I hate to put her through surgery if it's not warranted. Not sure if he just wants to do a surgery :(
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow your doctor advice. Detailed Answer: Hi, Sorry for sufferings of your daughter. I can understand your concern. From the image you provided, removal of nail bed seems to be required to prevent any possible infection. If there is fracture, fixation with pins might required as the condition of skin is not good for conservative management. I suggest you to follow your doctor advice to prevent any further damage. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Is surgery the only option for preventing possible infection due to Seymour fracture in children? 16 minutes later
Why does the nail bed cause infection (I'm just trying to understand)? Why can't this be treated with antibiotics instead of surgery? Also, should I be concerned about blood clots after surgery or anesthesia complications?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not afraid of surgical procedure. Detailed Answer: Hi, From the image provided, nail bed looks contused. There is injury to microvasculature. Removal of nail bed will help to drain any collection inside and thus prevent any chance of further infection. Antibiotic alone is not helpful in controlling the infection , unless pus is not drained out. Do not afraid of surgical procedure. It is not a major one. It is warranted for stabilization of fracture and controlling the infection. Hope this will helps you. Wishing her speedy recovery...