Is surgery the only option for miniscus tear?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
If I have a miniscus tear is surgery the only option If I have had surgery done before for previous tears can you do it again
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Surgery is not the only option. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Surgery is not the only option. Treatment depends upon extent and location of the tear, your pain level, your age and activity level and when the injury occurred. Surgery can be done again for tears if they are problematic. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Is surgery the only option for miniscus tear? 47 hours later
What are the possible treatments if right now if pain gets real bad after I walk on treadmill after half hour so far I have been icing it I assume I should stop as I may it worse What treatment should i do so I don't make worse I need cardio so I want to get this healed
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow RICE protocol Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Right now you can apply knee brace and restrict your activity. Follow RICE protocol that is rest, ice,compression and elevation. You can observe this for 3-4 months. If the symptoms not getting better after 3-4 months, then surgery may be required. regards,