Is surgery required for tear in meniscus?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I wanted a second option. Doctor recommended a surgery - is it necessary? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Beside surgery another option in your case is- Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have gone through the MRI report attached . Generally if a tear is seen in the meniscus, surgery is not always the first option. It depends on the severity and several other factors like the type and place of the tear, the normal activity level of the patient. Beside surgery another option in your case is - ice and heat applications, immobilizing the knee ,to use anti-inflammatory drugs, cortisone shots, joint supplements and physical therapy. Hope this will helps you . Let me know if you have any more concern. Take care. Warm regards.
Follow-up: Is surgery required for tear in meniscus? 12 hours later
Thank tou doctor. On the reports, it says where the tear is and what type it is... So based on that is surgery necessary??
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Surgery is not necessary. Detailed Answer: Hi, Based on MRI reports, your meniscal tear are degenerative and small . These tear may become asymptomatic with nonoperative management. So surgery is not necessary in your case.