Is surgery required for malignancy in breast?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My gen surgeon, asked me to have laboratories like ultrasound of the breast and biopsy, the assessment were intermediate suspicion for malignancy, and to confirm he asked for a mammogram, the findings were fibroglandular parenchyma is heterogeneously dense which may obscure a lesion. There is a large partially isodense mass in the left upper mid breast measuring about 3.4cm with associated cluster of microcalcifications. There is a round microcalcification in the right breast. There are no suspicious microcalcifications. There is no architectural distortion, skin thickening or nipple retraction. Unenlarge axillary nodes are seen bilatetally. Assessment is isodense mass w/ cluster of microcalcification, left. Benign calcification, left. My dr said i need a surgery right away w/o reading the result of the mammogram. Do you think dr that my dr is right. I am nowhere wherein i do not know what to do. Please guide me and teach me what to do. Thank you in advance nce.
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Well,considering all this there is moderate suspicion for malignancy and primary treatment modality is surgery since even if there is cancer,this is obviously early stage and complete removal can be achieved. However,such sonographic and mamographic findings are commonly seen in benign breast changes so cancer is the worst scenario,but it should be rule dout. You did not post result of biopsy. Biopsy should be done under ultrasound and it would reveal the exact diagnosis. Usually surgery is performed after biopsy is done,but some surgeons recommend mass removal even without biopsy since even if this mass is benign, it may cause some problems in future such as malignant alteration, inflammation,abscess etc. So the decision is up to you. This is not an emergency and I think that you have time to do biopsy,but if you dont wont worries in future you can have surgical removal. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards