Is surgery or anthroscope a better option for acl and torn meniscus treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi there, i recently had a MRIdone on my right knee, it shows the meniscus is torn but my acl is still intact, i went and saw an orthopedic surgeon and told me that he reckons that my acl is also done, can someone please help me i dont know what to do? should i listen to my orthopedic surgeon and go for acl and meniscus operation, or should i just do the anthroscope with my meniscus, he said if acl is in tact he wont touch it, dont know what to do, if my acl is loose is he going to tighten it or use another graft? im going for the operation tomorrow, if something is not right i want to know so i can pull the pin.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes you need arthroscopic meniscus repair Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. Yes, you need arthroscopic meniscus repair and if ACL is lax/torn you may need to do ACL reconstruction. Tightening of ACL may not be possible. So fresh graft for ACL can be used from other leg, use of endobutton will give good results. At young age if you don’t operate for ACL then progression of knee arthritis will be rapid as your knee is not mechanically stable. You need to do proper physiotherapy protocol before and after surgery to strengthen your quadriceps and hamstring muscles. Knee support like knee cap or hinged knee brace will be helpful, So you should do arthroscopic meniscus and if ACL is torn/lax then that also. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Is surgery or anthroscope a better option for acl and torn meniscus treatment? 19 minutes later
Thank you for the reply, very much appreciated, but i want to know if the MRI is showing intact ACL and my specialist is saying that he thinks my ACL is torn who should i believe???

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can take a second opinion... Detailed Answer: Hello again, Perhaps your doctor clinically feel ACL is lax and the MRI shows intact ACL. You can consult another surgeon and do clinical examination. Alternatively your surgeon can show you video film of laxity of ACL while you are in operation theatre on TV screen. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: Is surgery or anthroscope a better option for acl and torn meniscus treatment? 3 days later
Whats the pain like after surgery?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not worry about pain Detailed Answer: Hello again Due to latest arthroscopic surgeries there is very less incision to skin and healing is fast.Pain is not much after surgery,painkiller injection will help in recovery. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. If you find answer helpful do not forget to rate this answer at end of discussion. Wishing you good health. Take care.