Is surgery needed for umbilical hernia?

I am an 83 year old female who discovered next to my navel, a baby finger sized growth My surgeon indicated it was an umbilical hernia. It gives me no discomfort and seemed to disappear the next day. Do I need surgery?. My regular surgeon does not do laroscopic procedures which to my mind would be less distressing and lead to a shorter recovery period. Must I do anything or wait it out, hoping overtime this hernia will remain non-life-threatening.?? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you thatconsidering your age I would advise you not to undergo surgery as the hernis is not causing any symptoms and it is small you may simply continue to watch for symptoms to occur. Surgery is recommend if there is a risk for strangulation. This occurs when a part of intestine or a piece of fatty tissue is trapped inside the hernia and is cut off from its blood supply. But for that the risk assessment needs to be done by your treating surgeon and in your case risk is very less as the hernia is just afinger size . Take care. Dr. Shruti