Is surgery needed for joint arthrosis with disc protrusion?

I have an MRI reading that says. L4-5 bilateral facet joint arthrosis with diffuse disc protrusion and 3.5 mm anterolisthesis indenting the thercalsac and resulting in bilateral lateral recess and neural foranminal stenosis, worse on the right side. Also moderate cerral disc extrusion. Doe this need surgery? On the previous e-mail I stated that I also had Moderate central disc extrusion. I meant to say that was for L5-S1. I only have copies of the MRI. I also have and MRI of my Cervical Spine as well. It says: degenerative loss of disc signal and height at C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7 C3-4 Left facet arthrosis. Small central posterior disc protrusion 3 mm in thickness producing mild narrowing of the dural sac to 10 mm anteroposterior dimension. Neural foramina patent. C4-5; 2-3 mm right posterior disc protrusion/osteophyte complex mildly distorting the right ventral cord. There is moderate narrowing of the dural sac to 8 mm anteroposterior dimension at the midline. There is encroachment of the right neural foranmendue to uncovertebral arthrosis. I have a flex X-Ray that says L4-5 are unstable as well in my Lumbar spine.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that decision of surgery will depend on your symptoms and your treating doctor . If you have any kind of neural deficit like numbness , tingling etc coming to your limbs along with sciatic pains then surgery will be highly recommended . Your Straight leg raising test will also be helpful in deciding this . Since there is some evidence of instability also it will be good if it can be fixed surgically but ultimately the decision will be of your treating doctor as he is the best judge for the situation because examination forms the most important part in this . Take care. Dr. Shruti