Is surgery necessary for midpoint break in clavicle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a midpoint break in my clavicle. The ends do not line up. Instead, the ends overlap, close enough to rub together when I move. Can the clavicle heal in this position, or do I need surgery to pin or plate them end to end. I am a 54 year old male, athletic but not a professional athlete, and the break is not on my dominant side. Thank you for your thoughts.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It can heal in this position. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. I have seen the report attached. The clavicle fracture can heal even if there is an overlapping. There is no problem in going for a conservative treatment. It usually heals in 4-6 weeks. You need to keep your arm immobilized to avoid rubbing of the fractured fragments. Surgery is usually considered if there is a pain, non union or a major displacement in the fractured fragments. Please do not worry. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.