Is surgery indicated if I have bulging disc?

I have a b ulging disc at L4 and L5 (last MRI indicates L-3 and S-1 involved someway( At the L-4 the nerve root is compressed. I have gone through all of the conservative things. Some incontinence also involved.Would you say surgery is indicated? My insurance does not pay for laser, stem cell or prolo. Age 63. Condition over time, not one specifice incident. Thank you
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

Your MRI suggests disc bulging at L4 and L5 and also involving sacral fibres causing urinary incontinence.

A step wise approach is usually considered in treating the pain and incontinence and surgery is the last resort in this step wise approach.

If you are able to do your daily work with the help of pain killers and muscle relaxants then you can avoid the surgery for some time.

In your case bladder incontinence is one of the problems.

Physiotherapy plays a major role in treating such conditions.

Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered.

I suggest you to discuss this with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

If the bladder incontinence is not relieved with any medical treatment then surgery is the only option left for you.

However the general risks of undergoing a surgery is always there.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.