Is stem cell therapy advisable for high diabetes and Sirrhosis of liver?

My father is suffering with high diabetes and Sirrhosis of lever and kidney problem. is it possible to get it treated with stem cell therapy ? if yes, what should be the roughly cost ?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Few things you need to understand sir/ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I appreciate your care and concern for your father, and the will to try everything possible to help him. There are a few facts about stem cell therapy that you need to understand first sir/ma'am. Stem cell therapy is still in the beginning stages wherein, there is a lot of research going on and a lot of fields are still unknown, although, many studies are being conducted around the globe. Stem cell therapy can be used by harvesting stem cells from either a new born babies umbilical cord or from grown adults. Stem cells harvested from grown adults have shown to help in regrowth of very small parts of the body like hair, skin, etc; but cannot help to treat larger areas of the body like organs, organ systems (eg. conditions like cancer, liver or kidney failure, etc.) Stem cells harvested from a new born are called embryonic stem cells. These are shown to be very beneficial, due to which there is a new research centre and stem cell bank located in Hyderabad (India), to collect and store stem cells from a new born. But this will only be possible if the centre is informed about the collection of stem cells before the birth, so they can be present when the baby is to be born. I hope the above information is clear sir/ma'am. So the answer to your query would be, that if we had your father's embryonic stem cells, this procedure would have been an option; but if we do not have his embryonic stem cells, then this procedure will not be an option sir/ma'am. I am sorry. I hope I have explained this in a manner best understood by your. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Is stem cell therapy advisable for high diabetes and Sirrhosis of liver? 2 days later
Thank you very much sir, in that case what should be the possible treatment/care ? because, we consulted many doctors and the lever expert suggest lever treatment which affects kidney and kidney expert suggest treatment accordingly which results in to lever damage. currently we are focusing on kidney treatment due to which there is problem of water release and it gets collected in stomach due to which the stomach size is around 41". don't understand what to do ? kidney doctor says go for dialysis. lever doctor sings his tune. please help
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need to treat both simultaneously Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. I understand this a confusing situation. But, if we treat the kidney now and plan on treating the liver later. You need to know this, your father's kidneys are in a bad state as they require a dialysis to help them in functioning properly. But the fact is that once the kidneys are functioning a little better, and we introduce medication to treat the liver, the kidneys will get worse again, which means we would be back to square one with the kidneys. In such a scenario, it is normally recommended to initiate treatment for both simultaneously; and moderate the doses and medication based on the response from the target-organs. I understand this is going to be tricky, but try to get an experienced physician who will have a neutral opinion and can then discuss with the nephrologist and liver specialist about how they can as a team do whats best for your father. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further assistance, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Is stem cell therapy advisable for high diabetes and Sirrhosis of liver? 7 minutes later
Sir, Once again thank you very much for sparing your valuable time. will do accordingly.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: It was entirely my pleasure Detailed Answer: You are most welcome. I am glad I could be of assistance, please do not hesitate to write me for any further health-related issues. I hope you never need my assistance, but if you do, I am always availabalr to help. God bless you and your family.