Is spotting after hysterectomy, normal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I had a complete hysterectomy done with robotics on January 7th and everything went very well. This Monday I took a fast paced 45 minute walk and had some very light spotting after that. Tuesday I took a 30 minute walk and had very light spotting. This morning I had a spot about the size of a nickel and another very light spot in the afternoon. I'd like to keep up my walking, is it safe? My second and final meeting with my oncologist is on 2/19/14.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Certain degree of resting is recommended after such procedures in next 4 weeks, but moderate walking is allowed and actually will precent tromboembolic incidents and facilitate recovery. Also, spotting is expected after histerectomy and it may persist for several more weeks,but if there is excessive bleeding then you should check your red blood count and do gynaecologic examination. so you can walk but avoid weight lifting and running for 2-3 more weeks. Wish you good health.feel free to ask.