Is slight disc degeneration a matter of concern and what is the treatment?

Hello I have been in pain since mid december, my GP put me on muscle relaxants and strong pain killers. Initially i had severe pain at the bottom of my back, through my pelvis and down my right leg, i couldn't weight bear or even sit up without support. I have taken the medication and rested, over the past three months the pain has subsided, however it is still present. I have had an MRI completed and the results show a broad based L4-L5 disc bulge with a prominent right lateral component causing stenosis and impingement of the right L4 nerve in the neural foreman. There is also a small central disc bulge at L5/S1, fortunately the nerve root is spared. I visited the specialist today and he stated i was suffering with slight disc degeneration and i had nothing to worry about. I am confused, as my GP felt it was important to tell me asap about the results, yet when i visit the specialist he says it is nothing to worry about, fotunately for the specialist he isnt suffering with the pain!!!! please could you advise me on the next course of action i should take....or is it nothing to worry about? Thanks
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: consider seeking a second spine surgeon... Detailed Answer: Hello In my opinion, the disc bulge especially the L4-L5 is definitely a matter of worry unless neurological examination rules out no neurological issues. Since there is impingement of right L4 nerve, it cannot be corrected medically; you may need surgical correction is the only way. I suggest consulting a second spine surgeon. If there are contraindications to surgery, you may be provided with belt which can help disseminate body weight. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Follow-up: Is slight disc degeneration a matter of concern and what is the treatment? 3 days later
Hello Thank-you for this information, unfortunately your response went into my junk mail box, i did speak with my GP on Friday and he is now seeking a second opinion from another spinal specialist Thank-you again, you have been extremely helpful
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hello You are most welcome