Is sleeping several times in a day related to sinus blockage?

ENT Specialist
Could my husbands's falling asleep several times a day, especially after breakfast, be related to his sinus blockage? He has been seeing an ear, nose, throat doctor and using various sprays at night, also takes Temazapan prescribed by his cardiologist. He complains that shortness of breath at 7:00 am or so makes him unable to lie down, although he does go right back to sleep after getting up several times at night to urinate.
He attributes the shortness of breath to being unable to breathe through his nose.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a Sleep Study done to rule out excessive daytime sleepiness. Does he snore at night?

2. A plain CT PNS ( Para Nasal Snuses) and a Rhinomannometry (if available) will help in locating the site of the nasal obstruction and sinusitis which may be leading to a post nasal drip which usually causes symptoms in the morning. I usually recommend a pre and post decongestion CT Scan with the use of Xylometazoline nasal drops.

3. In Cottle's test, pulling the cheek out wards with the palm of the hand improves nasal airflow. There is sometimes a collapse of the nasal cartilage framework with advancing age, causing increased resistance to breathing at the nasal valve.

4. Which nasal sprays and medication has he tried out?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.