Is sleeping for the same hour difference better than waking up at a fixed time despite late sleep or routine sleep?

To get up at 4’o clock am daily – even if I sleep for less hours or don’t sleep in night. In this case, if I don’t sleep on a particular day, then on the next day, If I go to bed at 10 in the night, the difference between last sleep and next sleep will be very high.

To keep the hours’ difference same between last sleep and next sleep. For ex. 20 hours for the first week, then increase it to 25 hours etc – In this case, time to go to bed will be different – sometimes morning or evening or afternoon – but difference of hours between the two sleep would be the same.

Which option is better and why?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

In my opinion keeping the time of falling asleep and waking up constant like waking up at 4.00 AM even if the the hours of sleep is slightly less is a better option out of the two.

The sleep cycle in our body is maintained by the hormone melatonin which is secreted cyclically in our body and helps in maintaining the circadian rhythm and controls secretion of various body hormones.

The peak levels of melatonin are seen at around 2AM which corresponds with the deepest sleep time.
Daily changing of sleep time will jeopardize the melatonin secretion and you will not feel fresh even if you get a full eight hours sleep.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Is sleeping for the same hour difference better than waking up at a fixed time despite late sleep or routine sleep? 1 hour later
Doctor, First of all thank you very much for valuable advice.

Pls refer to the following record holder and my questions are given after this real story:

"Mr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Chandel (born on November 4, 1985) a mathematics teacher has set a new record by teaching continuously for 125 hours in Seoni district (Madhya Pradesh). The event took place at Shaskiye Prathmik Vidyalaya in Jammunpani village under continuous camera surveillance from the observer team of the “India Book of Records” headed by XXXXXXX Upadhyay. Chandel began teaching at 11.17 a.m. on January 16, 2008 and continued till 4.17 p.m. of January 21, 2008."

Question: 1 : In above case, how is it possible not to sleep continuously for 125 hours ? Any effect on health ?

Question : 2: How can I feel fresh even if I sleep for less hours on a particular day ? - Any yoga, exercise, meditation ?

Question :3: How can I avoid sleep for somedays to enable me to complete the study before deadline ? Any medications ?

Question: 4: Should I take nap in the afternoon ? If yes, duration ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

1.If you do not sleep for long hours your work efficiency might be decreased. The only effect on health will be jet lag like symptoms.But if you continue for longer periods of time this will affect your health.

2. Sleeping less might give you a fresh feeling if the sleep is XXXXXXX without any dreams. Sometimes even a ten minutes sleep is more freshening than a half an hour sleep.

3.To avoid sleep for some days you need to practice. The drugs are all habit forming and are drugs of abuse.Drink tea or coffee, whichever you like before the same.
Do some kind of tough exercises that will make you alert and stop you from sleeping
If everything fails, study while walking.
Study in groups.
Drink as much fluid as you can.

4. An afternoon nap is a good way to relax your mind. You can take an afternoon nap between one to two hours.

Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Is sleeping for the same hour difference better than waking up at a fixed time despite late sleep or routine sleep? 5 hours later
Doctor, one more question :

In point (3), you have advised me to do some kind of tough exercises. Could you pls give some examples of tough exercises ?

IN point (1), pls let me know the difference b/w long hours and longer period.

And, thanks from the core of my heart for putting your valubale time in resolving my issue. Thanks for the detailed information and explanation provided on the related issue.

SAP Certified Consultant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

1. Any exercise which increases your heart rate by 50% of its baseline value is considered tough. It can be running or treadmill or a workout.

2. By long hours I mean 6-8 hours of continuous sleep.
Longer periods of time means say 7-10 days- going without adequate sleep

Hope this answer makes my point clear.