Is sinus congestion, dryness of throat also related to thyroid problem ?

Question
I am 64, 5'9", 131lbs. (I used to weigh 175) I found out a few months ago I have hasimoto's thyroiditis. I was on Levothyroxin, and cytomel for a few of months but felt worse. My system is very sensitive to things, especially synthetics. For the last 9 days I have been on Armour Porcine capsules. I can only take about 1/8th of a capsule at a time. I have dryness of tongue, throat, skin, ears, etc; and especially the nasal passages with severe congestion. I will feel dizzy and can't breathe well through my nose. Sometimes my heart will beat faster. These symptoms will also appear when I am hungry and about 1 hour after I eat. I know many of these symptoms are because of the thyroid but, the one that is the most problem right now is the sinus congestion, dryness/tightness. I know it will take a long while for my thyroid to heal but, is there something that can give me immediate temporary results for the sinus problem that will help and not interfere with my Porcine? I also take a whole food one-a-day multiple vitamin + mineral + herb by New Chapter. My hormones are very low and for the last few months I have taken a prescriptive cream with progesterone and estradiol. My metabolism is also very low. It took so long to find out what my health problem was that my body was just devastated.

Thank You,

Chris E.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

From the history provided, it seems that you might be having blocked nose, due to hypertrophied nasal mucus membranes, which result in inability to breathe freely through the nose.

For immediate relief, you can try Otrivin Nasal drops (contains Xylometazoline) which will help your nasal congestion.

In addition, using a nasal saline spray (Ayr Nasal Spray) can help relieve the dryness and discomfort of the nose.

In case you have running nose, which increases due to allergy related causes, using an antihistamine medication like Clarytin might also be helpful.

Over time, once your thyroid hormone levels stabilizes and is controlled, your symptoms will eventually subside.

In case, your symptoms are very severe, and not helped by the above methods then a medication called Singulair (Montelukast), can be prescribed for a few days, to prevent symptoms due to your allergy by your doctor.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Is sinus congestion, dryness of throat also related to thyroid problem ? 47 hours later
I had my nose checked out my an ENT doctor and everything seems fine. Can this be due to my hasimoto's thyroiditis, which has been treated for only a couple of months?

Tried the Ayr saline spray and nose gel to help with the congestion and dryness and it didn't do much.

Do you have any other alternative medicine ideas for the sinuses that would be helpful with this problem until my body can start balancing itself?

Thanks for any help you are able to give.

Chris

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Treatment of nasal congestion requires Otrivin nasal drops ( Xylometazoline).

I had mentioned, Ayr Nasal Saline, as a helpful adjunct to treatment of nasal dryness, but it cannot provide adequate benefit without the use of Otrivin or Oxymetazoline nasal drops.

In addition , usage of antihistamine medications ( like benadryl or Clarytin) or can also be helpful.

Hashimoto's Disease, by itself does not cause symptoms mentioned by you. But dryness of tongue, throat and skin etc could be associated with Sjogrens syndrome which is a form of autoimmune condition, and might be associated with hashimoto's syndrome.

You might consult your doctor or a rheumatologist for additional information and treatment.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.