Is sinus arrhythmia T wave change a serious condition?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
My wife who is 49 years old has this moring been diagnosed with Sinus arrhythmia T wave change. She went for the diagnosis after feeling exceptionally tired for a number of weeks (on and off). Is this a serious condition?
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No,ECG findings are not serious at all. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM No,ECG findings are not serious at all. Sinus arrhythmia and T wave changes are non specific findings and doesn't indicate any cardiac illness in your wife's case. Sinus arrhythmia is a common condition.There are different types of sinus arrhythmia.Respiratory sinus arrhythmia is a common type and it is a normal variant.Respiratory sinus arrhythmia normally occurs when heart rate slows during inspiration and speeds up during exhalation. T wave changes are also very non-specific.They can occur in many conditions like hyperventilation,anxiety,drinking hot or cold beverages,positional changes etc. She may have other reasons for tiredness. She need proper clinical examination and investigations. Investigations include routine hemogram,RBS(Random blood sugar),LFT(Liver function test),RFT(Renal function test),Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed. Proper treatment depend upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Is sinus arrhythmia T wave change a serious condition? 1 hour later
I did not forward any ECG results and the initial statement 'Brief Answer' suggests that the results were reviewed. My wife did have an ECG and she also had an examination - not sure of the name but it was a scan of the heart and areas surrounding the heart with the the heart on view on adjacent monitor. My wife is in Northern China and I am in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates at this time and I do not have access to the reports of the ECG or the Scan. Please re-advise Thanks XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Sinus arrhythmia and T wave changes are ECG findings. Most probably your wife has undergone ECHO of heart.It is done for assessing functional status of the heart. You don't worry.According to previous comments (Sinus arrhythmia and T wave changes) i can definitely say that sinus arrhythmia and T wave changes are benign findings and she is alright. Yes,she definitely need screening of all conditions. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Is sinus arrhythmia T wave change a serious condition? 3 hours later
Just one more after thought after speaking on the phone to my wife a little while ago. The doctor told her that there was a shortage of blood in the heart which was making her feel tired but - that she wasn't to worry. Is this a factor of the condition? She has regular exercise which is sometimes pretty extensive - is that OK also? Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probably there is ischemic changes during exertion Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Probably there is some ischemic(due to decreased blood supply) changes in the heart muscles during exertion and due to ischemia she is having these symptoms.So,she need further investigations (depending upon clinical findings) and treatment. You don't worry.There are medicines available to check ischemic episodes and its complications. She may need regular treatment and she should continue her active life. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX