Is sex with a condom on safe after recovery from herpes?

Had herpes outbreak about 3 weeks ago, finished medication no more pain no scabs but left an underlying red mark, is that still contagious and can I resume sex with a condom
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are NO LONGER contagious Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for your query. A Herpes zoster patient remains contagious only till the last scab falls. Since you have no scabs left, except for the scars, you are NO LONGER contagious. You can therefore resume sex with a condom. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Is sex with a condom on safe after recovery from herpes? 32 minutes later
Why is the underlying red mark still there?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: these are scar wounds. Detailed Answer: These are just temporary scar wounds, which will eventually heal and disappear in 3-4 weeks, without leaving any marks behind. There is NO treatment required.