Is septated cyst in the left ovary a matter of concern?

Question
Hi, Thru an vaginal ultrasound it was discovered that I have a septated cyst in the left ovary measuring 4.6 x 5 x 3.4 cm. I have no symtoms, I am 53 years old and have a regular period. I was wondering how long I may have had this and my dr. is taking the wait two months approach. The scan stated otherwise unremarkable. should I be doing anything else?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly repeat the scan as advised. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX If the cyst is showing benign features like thin septae, unilocular, without any solid areas, present in only one ovary, without any papillary excrescences and without ascites (fluid in the peritoneal cavity) and without any Doppler changes, then you can wait and watch. I usually tell my patients to wait for 3 months and repeat the scan. If there is any suspicious areas and if there is any gross changes when compared to previous scan its better to go for surgery. I also do serum CA-125, CEA tumor markers to be on safer side. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: Is septated cyst in the left ovary a matter of concern? 14 hours later
There was a small follicle on the right ovary as well.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Small follicle is a normal finding. Detailed Answer: Hello, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, small follicle is a NORMAL finding. Kindly do not worry. As advised kindly get a follow up scan to know if there are any changes. I presume you are in menopausal period and your scan does not show any problem with uterus. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!