Is safe to use Minoxidil for hair fall while undergoing IVF treatment?

Hi Doctor - you have answereed my questions some days ago - and you advised me to use Minoxidil 2% on my falling hair. I wanted to know as I am under an IVF process (have just had my second failed cycle) - is it safe touse during treatment and medications of IVF and eventual Preganancy?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 24 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. Minoxidil is a pregnancy category C drug ie should be used in pregnancy when clearly needed. Minoxidil may get secreted in breast milk too, so should be avoided in nursing females. As such all the minoxidil studies have been done for oral minoxidil which is also use in hypertensive patients. Not much studies are done with topical minoxidil solution. Though chances of systemic absorption and any side effect whatsoever with topical minoxidil are less likely but still we preferably avoid advising it in pregnant or lactating females. Topical minoxidil is not absorbed significantly to pose any problem to your IVF treatment. So as such you may use it now but once you are pregnant should discontinue its use. Hope this helped. Take care