Is reversal of cervical lordosis possible?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I recently suffered whiplash due to trauma. I have pain in most of upper torso. I have complete reversal of cervical lordosis - from purely a cosmetic view, is this reversible? Despite my pain, I am still concerned about my physical appearance - I'm 30 and female. Are there any procedures that a medical doctor can perform to reverse this?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: A well-rounded rehabilitation program first Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. You may first need to do vigorous physiotherapy A well-rounded rehabilitation program assists in calming pain and inflammation, improving your mobility and strength, and helping you do your daily activities with greater ease and ability. Exercise has not proven helpful for changing the kyphotic curve in the neck. However, it can be helpful in providing pain relief. Therapy sessions may be scheduled two to three times each week for up to six weeks. The goals of physical therapy are to help you Learn correct posture and body movements to counteract the effects of kyphosis Maintain appropriate activity levels Maximize your neck range of motion and strength Learn ways to manage your condition. If no improvement and cosmetic correction required then you can go for surgery. Surgery to treat cervical loss of cervical lordosis usually involves spinal fusion combined with segmental instrumentation. This means that (titanium) plate or rod is used to hold the spine in the proper alignment to straighten it. Surgery may require two procedures done during the same operation. First, surgery to the front of the spine is done to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord. The second procedure is done through the back to fuse the spine and prevent the kyphosis from returning. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.