Is repeat of anti rabies vaccination required for cat scratch?

Apr 2014

Hi I took tetnus injection and five dose anti-rabbies dose post getting a scratch on my hand by a neighbour's cat with negligible bleeding.. The last dose was not more than 25 days ago.. I have just been injured by the same cat 30 min ago this time it was I think it's teeth and I had minor bleeding.. So, just wanted to ask would the anti-rabbies shots I took 1 month back would suffice or, should I take another round of vaccination?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You do not need any rabies vaccination right now. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us As you are still in the safe period, and the cat is doing fine (does not show any symptoms of rabies) there is no need to repeat any anti rabies vaccination. However, please do not allow the cat to scratch or bite you else it might become a habit formation for the cat. Immunity of vaccine lasts for up to two to three years and you may take a booster dose after one year. At present you can follow general measures after bite like washing of wound in flowing water under the tap with soap water and apply antibiotic ointment over it. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX